The Civil Service Examination is a necessary test that you must pass if you are planning on finding a job the government.
Those who were able to enter government service in the past, back when the exam wasn’t required yet, have to still pass this now or else they won’t be eligible for the promotion.
While there are people who easily breeze through the exams, there are also many who fail.
Here are tips that will help you pass the Civil Service Exam.
1. Study the coverage.
An aptitude test, the Civil Service Examination covers a wide range of basic subjects from English to Math to General Information.
Read up on the subjects
You don’t necessarily have to read the books for each subject from cover to cover. Just try to review and recall what you have learned when you were in school.
- Vocabulary – Words won’t be that complicated, most are commonly used and found in the daily news, articles, etc.
- Word analogy – Study on your bridging sentences
- Grammar– Review on subject and verb agreement, modifiers, conjunctions, etc.
- Paragraph Organization – Paragraph structures, transition words, etc.
- Reading Comprehension – Learn how to look for the main idea, the message of the paragraph, etc.
- Math – Remember your PEMDAS (Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction), interest and percentages, word problems, etc.
- Number Series – Prime or Odd Numbers, Squares or Cubes, Pattern in differences, Complex Patterns
- General Information – Read up the parts of the Philippine constitution about environmental conservation, indigenous people, and territorial disputes.
- Logic – Most of it will be on “Finding the best assumption and best conclusion” questions
Don’t worry because the Math tests won’t cover advanced Math topics like Calculus and Mathematical Physics, but expect basic Math topics, Algebra, and some Geometry. English topics will cover basic grammar and spelling rules.
For subprofessional level, expect that clerical topics will be included while analogy and logic are covered in the professional level.