Interested in taking the Civil Service Exams? First, you have to check whether you are eligible or even exempted from taking the test so you would not waste your time gathering the requirements and paying for the exam fees.
The Civil Service Examination (CSE) is
This eligibility will be your key to get in but of course, those who have higher credentials are the ones who are more likely going to land a higher position.
Nevertheless, if you get this eligibility, you already have a good chance of getting hired for a permanent position in any government agency.
Schedule of Filing of Application:
If you have to take the Civil Service Exams, then you’d better watch out for the dates of these examinations as these are not available all year round.
You have to follow the schedule or else have to wait for several months before the schedule opens up again.
The Civil Service Commission (CSC) conducts examinations two times a year for the Paper and Pencil test (CSC-PPT).
The tests are often conducted around March and August; though this schedule is subject to change – and you have to constantly check their announcements for the actual exam schedules.
Thankfully, the CSC accepts applications even months before the actual date of the tests; this will give you time to prepare.
Meanwhile, more options are available for the computerized examination (CSC-COMEX) which is often available throughout February, April, May, and June for the professional level.
These tests are administered at the Central Office and in CSC Regional Offices.
However, the schedule for the sub-professional exam is only limited to two days at the Central Office and just one day in the CSC Regional Offices.
Watch out for the announcements or send your application online for real-time updates.
Qualification and Requirements
Take note, however, that the CSC only accepts a limited number of applications.
Thus, it is important that you pass your requirements ahead of time so you will be included in the list of test-takers. It’s on a first-come, first-served basis.
You will have to submit your application form at any Civil Service Commission Regional Office near you. And the following are the qualification requirements:
- Every Filipino can take both exams regardless of educational attainment.
- You should be at least 18 years old at the time of the application.
- Should not have any criminal record nor have been discharged from the military service.
- You should have not taken the same level of exam in the last three months.
Documents you will have to submit should have the following:
1. Accurately accomplished Application Form
2. 4 copies of the Philippine passport-size ID photo.
This photo you will be submitting should be taken in the last three months and they should all be identical. Just like a passport ID photo, you should not be smiling during the taking, and you should not wear any accessories.
You should have a name tag written by yourself with your first name, middle initial, and last name.
- Passport size approximately 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm/ 1.8 inches x 1.4 inches
- The picture must be colored, but with white background
- Must be taken three months before the filing of the application
- The picture must be of good quality • Picture must be in a close-up shot
- The picture must be taken in full-face view, with neutral facial expression and eyes open
- If you have no valid ID that passes the above requirements, you have to submit the original and photocopy of your Birth Certificate printed on Security Paper (SecPa) and issued either by the Philippine Statistics Authority (formerly NSO) or the Local Civil Registry (LCR)
- Original and photocopy of your Certification of Retention/Reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship issued by the Bureau of Immigration for those with dual citizenship
- Money for exam fees: Php 500 (PPT); Php 680 (COMEX)
- A copy of the appointment letter should also be provided for those taking the COMEX
3. Original and photocopy of your valid ID.
4. Copy of your appointment letter.
Examination fee of 500 pesos for both CSE professional and subprofessional.
Filing of Application Forms
Applicants must download the application form from the official website of CSC at www.csc.gov.ph. Personal appearance is needed when filing the application (any CSC Regional Office).
Applicants must wear proper attire; a blouse/sleeveless shirt, slippers, and short pants are strictly not allowed.
Things to bring:
- I.D Card (the one used during the filing of the application.
- Original PSA/LCR issued
birthcertificate (must be printed on security paper).
- Application Receipt.
- Notice of School Assignment from ONSA.
- Black Ball Pen.
- Water or any other beverages (except alcoholic beverages).
The passing grade is at least 80.00
When it comes to the application, it would be best to strictly comply with the requirements or your application will not be accepted.
Once the application is accepted, you will be given a receipt and the details about when and where you are going to take your exam.