Civil Service Commission to Grant Special Eligibility to Barangay Health Workers

The Philippine Civil Service Commission (CSC) announced that they are once again granting special eligibility to qualified Barangay Health Workers (BHWs) who wish to apply for a permanent position in the government.

Under the Barangay Health Workers’ Benefits and Incentives Act of 1995, formally known as Republic Act No. 7883, the CSC is mandated to grant a special civil service eligibility called the Barangay Health Worker Eligibility (BHWE) to qualified BHWs.

Who are BHWs?

These barangay health workers voluntarily render primary health care services in their respective barangays and local communities.

Health Workers

Before becoming a BHW, they must undergo training programs under any accredited government or non-government organization (NGO). Then, they have to receive accreditation by the local health board, in accordance with guidelines set by the Department of Health (DOH).

BHWE: Special Eligibility for BHWs

Anyone with the BHWE may be considered for appointment in in first level positions in the government, with the following exemptions:

  • Positions that require passing the TESDA trade tests: Category I of CSC MC No. 11, s. 1996 and CSC MC No. 3, s. 2008
  • Positions that require licenses issued by competent authority: Category IV of CSC MC No. 11, s. 1996, as amended by CSC Resolution No. 974554
  • Positions that require special skills and competencies: such as stenographer positions
  • Positions that require passing PRC Board examinations or those which are governed by special laws

Except for the positions mentioned above, R.A. 7883 mandates government agencies to give preference to eligible/accredited BHWs in the hiring of health personnel.

That’s provided, of course, that the BHW applying for the position doesn’t have disqualifications for the position being applied for and that he/she possesses all of the qualifications necessary for the job.

Eligible Health Workers

Note that once a BHW is hired as a permanent employee of the government, all volunteer services shall be credited and counted for the purpose of computing retirement benefits.

How to Apply for BHWE

To qualify for BHWE, the BHW should meet these qualifications:

  • Completed at least two years of college education leading to a college degree
  • Voluntarily rendered at least five (5) years of continuous, full-time, active, and satisfactory service as an accredited BHW to the community
  • The services should have been voluntary; that means that the BHW wasn’t formally employed and didn’t receive any form of compensation or salary, except honorarium
  • But the law adds an exemption for those who receive a salary under the Job Order status and/or Contract of Service if they were hired by local agencies
  • Only services rendered starting from the date of approval of R.A. 7883, on February 20, 1995, will be considered.

Qualified BHW should apply at the CSC Regional or Field Office that has jurisdiction over the barangay where he/she has rendered services.